How to treat wisdom tooth pain
Wisdom teeth gets its name from the supposedly “wise” phase of life that you’d be in when they erupt, namely the late teens or early 20s. Wisdom teeth can erupt suddenly one fine day, or take forever erupting slowly and gradually.
Actually wisdom teeth are molars which usually erupt after 17 years of age and generally before 21 yrs. They are the third and the last molars on each gum one on each side, and two lower gums again one on each side. These are the final teeth to erupt and usually make an appearance with a bang when the individual typically has forgotten about the whole idea of new teeth coming in.
It is possible for wisdom teeth to take three months to emerge fully on the gums. Till it appears fully, the dull pain may remain for this period, if they are not crooked or crowded because of lack of space.
If the pain becomes too much to handle, it may be worth visiting a dental clinic, to book an appointment to get it removed surgically. The dentist will advise patients on what best to do in a situation like this.
Wisdom teeth are usually associated with a bit of trouble, like pain and all the associated trappings of erupting teeth.
Causes of discomfort when wisdom teeth arrive
Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to arrive, and many times there is no place for them to come out of the jaws, as all the room has been occupied by teeth that are already developed. Lack of space on the jaws requires the teeth to push through any which way, at an angle, which creates discomfort and pain. This crowding of teeth cause the wisdom teeth to get stuck and not come out fully.
When the wisdom teeth cannot come out fully, they get impacted. These impacted wisdom teeth makes the gums vulnerable because the surface breaks but the teeth are not fully out. Food gets caught in the gums which invites bacteria, which can lead to lots of dental issues like infection, inflammation and severe pain.
Symptoms of wisdom teeth pain
If you are a teenager and still your wisdom teeth have not cut through, you may worry about pain in your mouth, and wonder if it is wisdom tooth pain. Wisdom tooth pain occurs at the back of your mouth, behind molars. You may feel the breaking tooth with your tongue at the back. The area around the last molar may become inflamed and red which will feel tender to touch.
When you believe it is wisdom tooth pain, take an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible.
Home remedies till you see the dentist
There are a number of home remedies, for pain management till you can see your dentist. These are also useful for people who cannot opt for removal of wisdom teeth for medical reasons.
- Pain relievers: There are painkillers which are available over the counter without prescription. These will help relieve pain and temporarily give you comfort till you can see your dentist
- Leaves of mint plant contain oils which can contain inflammation and soothes pain. Rubbing the oil directly on teeth is very effective. You can soak a cotton ball in mint extract and apply it to painful gums. Peppermint tea which is cold can also be used as a rinse.
- Saltwater rinse is also considered a home remedy for toothache. Salt is a natural antiseptic which can kill bacteria. Wisdom teeth sometimes push other teeth while cutting through and create cysts while erupting.
- Liquor like bourbon or brandy and whisky are considered pain relievers, because it has numbing qualities of distilled liquor. You can also rub these liquor onto the wisdom tooth which can dull the pain receptors easing the discomfort.
- Aloe vera can also be used to reduce inflammation around the erupting wisdom tooth and soothe the pain. When applied directly on the gums, aloe vera gel can cool the area and provide temporary relief.
- Cloves can be used as an analgesic to relieve pain. Clove oil contains qualities to fight bacteria that grow in mouth resulting in infection and pain. Clove oil is available over the counter. You can use clove water after boiling 6 cloves in water and draining it.
- Ibuprofen and aspirin tablets are painkillers can help. Do not over do the dosage.
- Other therapies include hot and cold therapy. Using ice packs or heat packs to the affected areas will help reduce inflammation and pain. Apply the packs for about 15 minutes and wait for 15 minutes before applying again. Alternate between hot and cold packs finishing with cold pack.
It is very common to get wisdom teeth accompanied by severe pain but it is also possible to for the pain to go away after the teeth have emerged. Generally, it is advised that youngsters between the age of 17 and 21 get themselves monitored for wisdom teeth and help is given in making the teeth appear with as little discomfort as possible.
Categorised in: Wisdom Teeth
This post was written by Letooth